Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Star Struck

How big of a girl are you when you get the giggles after you talk to someone famous? Not the Justin Bieber screamy teary bullshit famous. But someone who's actually accomplished something in their lives, both during and after their famous career. I had one of those moments today. Afterwards, I laughed at myself. And giggled again!

The person who called me this morning is known as an exceptional athlete in an extremely popular and competitive sport here in Australia. He's distinguished himself not only during his sporting career, but subsequently as a business leader in the state as well. He is well liked and respected in both fields. His name is easily recognizable even to those who don't particularly follow the careers of sports heroes. (Yet he was humble enough to spell it for me, like I didn't know who the heck he was!) He now owns several hotels, and called me to book me for a function at one of them.

I have to say, over the course of my nearly sixty years I've done some unusual things, been to some interesting places and have met some rather accomplished, famous, and even infamous people. That list includes radicals, revolutionaries, world leaders, entertainment legends, authors, TV personalities and politicians. I've worked with some and respected and liked them. I've met others and wanted to give them a slap.

Like a lot of people, I read about the famous and wonder what they're like. Or judge them by what I read. "He sounds like a wanker. What a bitch she is. Doesn't that guy sound sweet? Isn't she humble?" You know what I'm talking about. Reading the latest (or in some cases, just late) magazines in the dentist's office, you form your opinions of the high and mighty. Of course, not knowing them personally, you have no idea if what you've read gives you any real clue as to the person themselves. But it's fun to speculate and read the latest PR spin on some one's life.

So when you come face to face with the person behind the smiling photograph on the cover of Women's Day or Rolling Stone, it can be a let down. Alternatively, it can be an eye opener. I once met a rather vilified world leader, actually spoke with him and spent a few hours observing him in action and listening to him talk, and came away quite liking him and seeing a different side to his personality and politics. I've had a respect and affection for him ever since. I once worked with a world famous comic with a hippie persona and saw his transformation from his Armani suit off stage to the bandanna and ripped blue jeans on stage in front of his screaming fans and thought, 'if only these people knew'. I've seen an Oscar nominated actor waiting patiently in line at the Honolulu Comedy Club, refusing to be given special treatment and ushered in ahead of the rest of the punters, and I've seen a silicone enhanced MTV presenter be a complete bitch when the cameras were off. It takes all kinds. Famous or not, the character of the person is what counts and is often revealed in simple ways. Sometimes the truth of it gets lost in the public relations jungle and most of us will never know who the real person is. So when you actually get to meet or interact with these "stars" it's quite an experience.

And yet, after all of the above, I still got the giggles after that phone call this morning. I can't imagine why. I mean, he's not the first or the most famous person I've met. Oh, I was quite business-like and polite while we spoke. I kept my asides to myself. When he said, "you may have heard of me" and ended with him spelling his name for me like I hadn't read it a million times in the paper, I didn't say "Are you nuts!? Of course I know who you are!" I liked that he was humble and I'm looking forward to meeting him in person next month. I hope I don't get stupid on the day and embarrass myself.

Or worse yet, giggle like a girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment